Firefighter Scholarships and Grants
IAFC Foundation administers a scholarship program that provides financial assistance to emergency personnel for study at college level. Motorola Foundation awarded a grant in the amount of $50,000 to the IAFC Foundation for the “Future Leaders Scholarship Fund.” This grant provides funding that supports academic scholarships for future fire and emergency service leaders to pursue advanced degrees.
Terry Farrell Firefighters Fund
While the September 11, 2001 in the World Trade Center attack took away Terry Farrell and 342 of his companion firefighters, a fund in Terry Farrel’s memory assists assist firefighters and their families with educational schoalrships.
National Junior Firefighter Schoalrships
National Junior Firefighter Scholarship and Grant Program offers more than $100,000 in scholarships to outstanding junior firefighters. Columbia Southern University and the NVFC have teamed up to offer two scholarships to NVFC members. One scholarship is awarded towards a bachelor’s degree and the other for an associate’s degree. Both scholarships are for two years, including tuition and textbooks.
College Scholarships for Firefighters
* The Warner College of Natural Resources at the Colorado State University offers a scholarships to firefighters.
* Oklahoma State University offers three scholarships to students in Fire Protection and Safety Technology program.
* Portland Community College offers a fire science scholarship to women and ethinic minorities who have completed 12 credits at PCC. They offer other Fire Science scholarships to non-ethnic minorities as well.
* Seneca College also offers several scholarships for Fire Protection.
* Three Rivers Community College offers Father Larry Ouimet Memorial scholarship in Fire Technology.
* University of Maryland offers a number of Fire Protection Engineering scholarships. Some of these scholarships are funded by companies such as GE and Honeywell while others are funded by organizations such as Maryland State Firemen’s Association.
* The University of Memphis offers Edward A. Hamilton scholarship.
* Seminole Community College in Florida offers a scholarship to students who have a minimum of 2.5 GAP and lives in Central Florida.
* Worcester Polytechnic Institute offers the $,5000 Percy Bugbee Fire Protection Engineering Scholarship from the National Fire Protection Association, to a fire protection engineering student who has demonstrated excellence in academic achievement and demonstrated intent to perform a thesis or graduate project activity aimed at improving fire protection engineering methods.
* Butte College offers The Bryan K. Zollner Memorial Scholarship benefit students with a serious interest in Butte College Fire Academy. The scholarship has been established as a lasting memorial to the memory of Bryan Zollner a brave firefighter.
Scholarships for Firefighter’s Children
* Bound Tree Legacy Scholarship – The Bound Tree Legacy Scholarship assists children of EMTs, Paramedics and Firefighters who are interested in EMT-B, EMT-I and EMT-P programs. The scholarship pays up to $2500 in award money.
* National Law Enforcement and Firefighters Children’s Foundation Scholarship – The NLEAFCF provides hundreds of thousands of dollars in the form of scholarships and grants to children and families of law enforcement agents and firefighting personnel killed or permanently disabled in the line of duty, as well as to programs created and operated by law enforcement and firefighting organizations that aim to educate youth and their communities.
* San Francisco State University gives away up to $5,000 per scholarship to the children of firefighters.
* IAFF offers scholarships to the sons, daughters or legally adopted children of fire fighters who have died in the line of duty to attend a university, accredited college or school of higher learning in the United States or Canada.